Thanks for joining this session. Lets get started:
- What are Google Play Books?
Activity 1 - Creating "The Lazy Book"
- Make sure you are using Chrome :)
- Install the dotEPUB Chrome extension here
- Search a for a topic in Google or Wikipedia related to your subject/grade level.
- Click the dotEPUB extension to download an ePub file. *Note: does not work when signed into Google Sites. Then, Upload to Google Play Books.
Activity 2 - The "Now we're talking" book
- Get in groups of 4
- One person creates a Google Doc and shares with group
- Democratically, choose a topic and define an age level
- Find age appropriate, reliable, open content for your book
- Include your own visuals using Google Drawings, Sheets graphs, etc.
- When you are ready, download the books as a PDF file. Then, upload your file to a Online ePub Converter. Write a title and author.
- Share ePub with friends.
- Each person downloads the ePub and Uploads to Google Play Books.
- Try the Play Books features on your laptop, tablet or smartphone.
| Textbooks|| Description||Grade Levels|
|The open-content textbooks collection that anyone can edit.|| K-12, but mostly High School and Higher Ed.|
|Though Boundless offers quality textbooks at low prices, it provides some textbooks for free.||Middle School through Higher Ed.|
| Non-profit that provides high quality STEM content.|| 3-12|
College Open Textbooks
|College Open Textbooks (COT) is a project of the Silicon Valley Education Foundation and the Open Doors Group|| Higher Ed, some books apply to High School|
| ePub Converters|| Description||Requirements|
dotEPUB and Extension
| Install the dotEPUB extension to convert Non Google Sites to ePubs||Chrome|
Online ePub Converter
| Upload the Google Doc's pdf to convert to ePub||Any browser|
ePubs with Pages on Macs
| Pages ’09 lets you export your documents in ePub format for reading in various platforms||Apple computer with iWork|
| Search Engines|| Description|| Grade Levels|
| It's a free, safe, fun way for kids and their parents to quickly and easily research school topics || K-5|
| KidRex searches emphasize kid-related webpages from across the entire web and are powered by Google Custom Search™ and use Google SafeSearch™ technology.|| k-8|
| It can only return Google "strict" search results and is not dependent on any computer, cookie or browser settings. || K-5|
| Mymunka is a safe Search Engine designed just for kids and is Fun and safe for everyone|| k-8|
Safe Search Kids
| You can be sure that Google safe search is always set to the highest level of security for safe browsing.|| K-8|
Search by Reading Level
| Filter Google Search results by grade level|| K-8|